Have shortness of breath, rough breathing and coughing. Taken homeopathic chest treatment. Suggest?

I have shortness of breath that has been increasing. When I sleep, sometimes I waken and find the only way that I can sleep is to sit up. A few minutes ago I was awakened by my rough breathing and shortness of breath and sat up and started coughing. I also have had a cough for years. But it isn't always there. It may almost totally disappear if I go to another location outside the home -- such as when I work on a job. As I'm self-employed I spend a lot of time home and when I'm home, I may cough once every 30 seconds. What really sets it off is the smell of vinegar, a sip of wine, etc. My problem started probably 25 years ago when I painted our family room. After three hours I became very weak. It took me two or three days to recoup, but I then developed this cough that has never totally gone away. It was about that same time I got pnemonia and was laid up for several weeks. I did not take anti-biotics for this, but did homeopathic chest treatments. After a few weeks I was fine. Now, I have a shortness of breath with the cough. All that I have ever coughed up is some yellow mucus.
Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Shortness of breath

Detailed Answer:
Delighted to be able to help.

In a person with shortness of breath and cough for 25 years, it is necessary to rule out different pathologies.

You must go to a Lung Specialist.

He will review and request additional test to rule out pathologies such as asthma (especially allergic asthma) or COPD (very common in smokers). If lung tests are normal, you should go to a cardiologist. Nocturnal cough relieved by sitting is a symptom of heart failure, this pathology too should be considered. After establishing the diagnosis, with right treatment you will feel better.

I Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.If you do not have any clarifications, please don’t forget to evaluate my answer.

I wish you good health.