Have severe sciatica in leg with numbness, tingling and foot pain. MRI done. Reason for pain and discomfort?

Question
I have severe sciatica in my right leg with numbness, tingling, & pain all the way to my foot where there are times I can't feel my toes. My right leg is heavy & at times it's hard to walk or even get comfortable. I just had an MRI where the results were a minimal asymmetric left L4/L5 bulge with minimal left neuroforaminal narrowing. Could this be the cause of all my pain & discomfort?
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 31 minutes later
Hi
Welcome to XXXXXXX

You already know the problem you are having. The sciatic nerve fibers originates from lumbar and sacral vertebra going downwards where in the thigh it continues as a common peroneal nerve and goes till the toes with different branches. The disc bulge you are having is compressing the nerve fibers of the right sciatic nerve and hence you experience the pain through out its distribution.

The symptoms like severe pain, numbness. tingling and loss of sensation and/or decreased power and tone are indication for surgery known as leminectomy in which the pressure is released by partial or complete removal of the disc.

It is recommended to visit a neurosurgeon for better opinion and avoid excessive walking and exertion. Rest will help in relieving symptoms. Physiotherapy is also quite helpful

If you still have some query, feel free to ask

Thanks

Follow-up: Have severe sciatica in leg with numbness, tingling and foot pain. MRI done. Reason for pain and discomfort? 3 days later
On the same MRI, my L5 S1 came back as normal & there is no nerve dissection but there was a 5cm fundal fibroid seen in my uterus, is this separate from my back/sciatica pain? I have been having urinary issues recently but it was thought that it was worsening of the back issues I was having. I'm asking seemingly dumb questions because my Dr keeps telling me that my MRIs are coming back normal, but when I get the reports, these things are on them. I am being sent for an ultrasound for the fibroid. Also I have since made an appointment with our pain clinic & with a neurosurgeon.

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 8 minutes later
Thanks for the reply

You had a clear report of disc bulge in the previous MRI plus you were also having the symptoms and signs of sciatica. Now I don't know how you got a normal report this time.

The fibroids in uterus is separate issue from that of the sciatica and have its own features. The fibroid uterus is a gynecological problems. I will recommend you to go with your previous MRI report and do consult a neurosurgeon.

Thanks