Have severe pain in the back of leg, runner and biler. Taking Aleve and stopped exercise. Cause?

I have severe pain in the back of my left leg at the top of my calf, but below the knee. I am a runner and biker - - do not know if there is a direct link, but suspect so. The pain did not show up immediately until one morning when I left the bed, the pain shot through my left leg. I'm currently talking Aleve and have stopped exercising. I am 66 years - -so I thought I was realistic about my exercise regimen, but this was a surprise !
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
DVT, varicose veins, sciatica, spine conditions

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr. XXXXXXX and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

It is great to know that you have given your health this much importance, but what is also important is for you to take care of your body as it ages. I am sure you are realistic enough with your exercise regimen. Do not worry, we shall find the cause for the same.

As you have mentioned the use of mild anti-coagulants in your treatment regimen, I would only advice two investigations along with a physical examination, which should help in ruling out most/all of the causes that could cause such a presentation. They are:
-Doppler ultrasound scan of your leg (to rule out conditions like deep vein thrombosis, varicose veins, clots, emboli, etc.)
-CT myelogram (which helps in ruling out any spinal abnormalities, sciatica, etc.)

Do visit a doctor for a physical examination and for help with these investigations. I hope this information is helpful. Do not worry, this is not necessarily an age-related problem, and I am sure the above investigations will/shall help tremendously. Do feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.