Have severe pain and limited motion in arm after an injury. How to overcome this problem?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my ex husband slammed my arm into a wall a couple years back and since then i have had limited movement in my arm, if i do things like reach back to put on my seatbelt, or reach to turn off a table lamp, i endure so much pain i want to cry. I can't lift much without pain and the upper arm is also sore. I hoped it would get better over time as I did not have any insurance until i changed jobs just recently. Not sure where to go with this now that i have insurance...xrays or what?
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The persistent pain in your upper arm is likely to be related to a ligament tear. You need to get an MRI scan done which is a more sensitive test for soft tissue and muscular injuries. An Orthopedician is the best person to be consulted.

Here are some general treatment measures which you can follow:

1) Provide complete rest and avoid overhead activities.
2) Apply cold compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor.

If the symptoms are severe then after confirming the diagnosis by MRI, you may need steroid injections or surgical arthroscopic technique

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have severe pain and limited motion in arm after an injury. How to overcome this problem? 3 hours later
Would it be ok to use a heating pad in the meantime to help ease the pain?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 21 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Yes you can use a heating pad to decrease the pain. Taking a mild pan killer will also help.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.