Have severe muscle spasm in shoulder. Having numerous physical therapy. Night leg cramps

Orthopaedic Surgeon
What can I do about a severe muscle spasm in my shoulder, between my spine & shoulder blade, that has persisted for more than 2 weeks? I had one just about this same time last year & in spite of going to a doctor & having numerous physical therapy sessions, it persisted for months & months. Some days it's not so bad, but others, it is excruciating. I just recently turned 65 years old, & have discovered that Medicare visits to a doctor are VERY expensive!! I have no arthritis & other joint problems) within the last year. I'm also having major problems with night leg cramps. Those started over a month ago. I don't know if there's any connection beween the two problems. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Interscapular pain can be due to nerve impingement

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query and I would advise the following:

Dorsal scapular entrapment: syndrome can lead to pain in interscapular area.
This can be due to entrapment of nerve between the scalene muscle.
You may need EMG NCV study to confirm this.
Till the time you get this done you may take neurotropic medication, which you can obtain on a prescription by your treating doctor.

I have seen good recovery after holistic approach like pranayama, meditation, along with physiotherapy.

Leg cramps may not be related to knee arthritis. Leg Muscle cramps are very common in females, my advise for you is.

Take plenty of water, fluid intake will dilute toxins.
Physiotherapy with ultrasound and Tens will help you,
You can do exercises like swimming, riding stationary bicycle, but do not overexert yourself.
Take potassium XXXXXXX diet.
Hot and cold fomentation to leg.

I hope that I have answered your query. Let me know if I can help you further.