Have seizure, MRI normal, EEG shows problems in brain. Prescribed Valance. Can I lead a normal life?

my son , 21 years of age had his first seizure during last November 2011. My neurologist prescribed no medicine and my son had his second seizure during August 2012. MRI is normal but EEG showed problems on the left side of brain. He has been prescribed valance od 750mg every night. What will be the future of my son? Can he lead a normal life? Can he exert? He used to go to Gym which is stopped now. Can we reduce the dosage if it is not recurred? What are the chances of another seizure if tablet is taken correctly? Can he drive car/motorcycle while taking valance od ? Asked by- Krishnamoorthy sv
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 56 minutes later
We always try to avoid antiepileptic drugs in first attack but should be started if second attach happened.
The dug choice is also perfectly right.
Now about your various questions-
1.     Your son future is good. He can do all day to day activities like others childlike go to gym, reading, playing etc. Please do a IQ test for him.
2.     Never reduce the dose of the drug without neurologist opinion though patient is in stable. We usually continue antiepileptic drugs 5 years till the last seizure attack occur.
3.     If he take valproate regularly in adequate dosage though there are chance of exacerbation of the disease in 5-15% ceases requiring combination of another anti-epileptic drugs.
4.     He can drive car/motorcycle while taking valproic acid if he is symptomatically fine?
Consult with your Neurologist for final opinion.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly