Have scleroderma with Raynaud's phenomenon. Swelling, pain, redness in fingertips and toes. Related?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
I have scleroderma(minor) with raynaud's phenomenon. My finger tips and toe tips get mildly swollen and hurt and turn red. Is this associatve? I have the usual color chanes cold/hot. This is something very new and it occurs with various digits at various times with some resolve on their own. No rash what so ever. Thank you.
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 16 minutes later
Even in Raynaud's phenomenon, the fingers turn white, blue and red.
However usually there is no swelling.
Scleroderma is associated with thickening but in progressive conditions there can be redness swelling and pain also.
Now there can be two possibilities.
1.The scleroderma is progressing.
2.You might be suffering from mixed connective tissue disorder, usually the connective tissue disorders can occur together.

In your case I suppose there can be an element of Rheumatoid Arthritis also.
I suggest you to get a test for rheumatoid factor done.
This will clear the picture.

Let me know if you have any further doubt.

wishing you good health.
Thank you

Follow-up: Have scleroderma with Raynaud's phenomenon. Swelling, pain, redness in fingertips and toes. Related? 15 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX It only occurred to me recently that my muscles have been sore over time,in the past year or so, although I exercise only conservatively. Could this be another indication of some element of rheumatoid arthritis? Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 28 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up,
ya even this can be a sign of Rheumatoid arthritis.
please get the RA factor done.
Thank you

Follow-up: Have scleroderma with Raynaud's phenomenon. Swelling, pain, redness in fingertips and toes. Related? 12 days later
Dr. XXXXXXX What blood tests would you recommend I request for the possibility of confirming RA and the progression of conditions with the scleroderma? I have not had an XXXXXXX antibody test in over 10 years. thank you for any suggestions you can give me. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 6 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Get the following blood tests done.

1. Please get the XXXXXXX profile done.
With this blood test you will get to know about all the auto immune disorder like SLE , dermatomyositis , scleroderma, mixed RA factor in blood.
This will tell about Rheumatoid arthritis.

Thank you