Have rosacea. No relief from accutane. Is there any alternate medicine?

My dermotogist has suggested Accutane for my skin. I have roseaca. For a period of 6 months. I am 70 years old and the side effects disturb me. Is there another drug that will have the same results?
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

I agree with your concern regarding Accutane. This is a medication that has a multitude of potential side effects and I really think the benefit of this drug is not significant enough to cause you to endure these type of side effects.

There is another medication that has much fewer side effects and I think in your case would be much more helpful. This medication is metronidazole. This comes in a topical gel that you can put on your face once or twice daily. I think this would be a good choice to start with before anything more aggressive such as Accutane is considered.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns regarding this matter.

Dr. Robert