Have ringworm, swollen and sore throat. Are they related?

Hi. I have had a really sore throat for 3 days. It is swollen and it is sore when I swallow. I have ringworm which has not responded to tea tree oil, canes ran or Lamisil over a 12 days period. Are they related? I don't have a fever or headache.
Posted Sun, 13 Jan 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Ring worm normally requires treatment for at least 2 weeks and generally improves within a 4 week period.Some persons notice a response long before this time but this is the accepted time period.
It is not likely to be related to the sore throat because the organisms that are associated with ring worms are not typically known to cause pharyngitis.

Most sore throats are viral and may respond to the use of sprays or gargles with antiseptics/analgesics, oral analgesics with anti inflammatory properties can also be used- these include ibuprofen,cataflam, voltaren- provided there are no contraindications to their use.
A sore throat can also have a bacterial cause and may require antibiotics. If the pain persists with no improvement within the next day, then you may want to consider visiting your physician for an assessment.

hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Have ringworm, swollen and sore throat. Are they related? 3 days later
Hi. I still have a sore throat, a swollen neck gland and phlegm when coughing. I have a script for Ceclor 375 mg from when I had pneumonia. Should I start the antibiotic? Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 10 hours later
Hi, most throat infections are viral though bacteria such as strep can occur in some persons.
If the antibiotic is used when it is not necessary then it increases the risk of you developing antibiotic resistance.
Symptoms and signs that the throat infection is bacterial would be a persistent fever, no improvement in the sore throat pain, pustules seen in the back of the throat.
Swollen lymph nodes would occur in a viral and bacterial infection.

In terms of the productive cough, you can try a mucolytic to break it up and allow it to be removed easier.This can be combined with a cough suppressant. Some persons with a persistent cough may require medication to open the airway (airway closure can occur in some viral or bacterial infections even in persons who are not asthmatic)
There are some medications that combine the mucolytic with the airway opener.

Feel free to ask any other questions