Have right bundle branch block and sinus infection. Taking azithromycin. Should I be concerned?

General Surgeon
I am a 75 yr old male. At my last examination cardiologist mentioned that I have a RBBB. He explained it
to me and said there was nothing to worry about and he'd seen me in a yr. I have a sinus infection and
my local MD has prescribed Azithromycin (250mg). The warnings were vague about heart problems and
this medication. Should I be concerned?
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 17 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Azithromycin does not have any proven heart affecting side effect. Any information about heart problem and azithromycin is only based on other antibiotics side effects from this group (macrolids). Moreover, this side effects are extremely rare less than 1 to 10 000. As your doctor assumed that your RBBB is nothing to worry about, you most likely suffer from incomplete RBBB. If you do not have any symptoms like chest pains, shortness of breath, heart palpitations, dizziness, you should not worry at all. And Azithromicyn is safe for you and you can use it as advised by your doctor.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.