Have rheumatoid arthritis. Noticed movable lump around middle of collar bone. Are they related?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have rheumatoid arthritis and today I noticed a movable lump around the middle of my collar bone. I recently have a flare up of my arthritis could this lump be connected to that. Bloods have come back ok except inflammation level,is high at is my rheumatoid factor
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 48 minutes later
A movable lump that you have noticed around the middle of the collar bone is not likely to be related to a flare up of rheumatoid arthritis that you are having. This most likely is a reactive lymph node. These nodes may get enlarged during inflammation or infection.
The best way to approach this concern is to first get a Neck USG (Ultrasound) done to identify the exact tissue which comprises the lump. This should preferably be done with a new generation 4D USG Scanner with Doppler. Next, a FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) will settle the diagnosis. You may also get an abdominal USG and a Chest X-ray done to look for any other enlarged lymph nodes. This should be accompanied by routine blood tests.
If it is a painful swelling then take pain relievers such as dicolfenac/ibuprofen and an antibiotic after the consultation of your doctor.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have rheumatoid arthritis. Noticed movable lump around middle of collar bone. Are they related? 9 hours later
Blood tests are fine had them done 2 weeks ago
This is very worrying as I know rheumatoid patients are more likely to get lymphomas. So because I don't seem to have infection this lump is worrying although I can only feel it when lying down. Am I right in assuming that you should not be able to feel any lumps in that area.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Around the middle of the collar bone, no lumps should be palpable. This abnormal lump needs to be investigated to find out the cause. Please do not worry as even if it is a lymphoma, these are easy to treat if detected early.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.