Have redness on leg with swollen ankle. What is causing this? Is this curable?

Dermatologist
Question
I HAVE REDNESS AND HARDENING OF SKIN ON BOTH LEGS FROM TOP OF ANKLE TO MID CALF. SOME SWELLING OF BOTH ANKLES BUT NOT OFTEN. NO PAIN TO LEGS UNLESS I BANG THEM AGAINST SOMETHING. NO OPEN SORES. I AM ON A WEIGHT REDUCTION PROGRAM (LIFE STYLE CHANGE) SINCE APRIL OF LAST YEAR. 365 LBS THEN, 285 NOW. THE REDNESS BEGAN ABOUT 2 YRS AGO AND REACHED ITS WORSE LEVEL XXXXXXX OF 2012. IT HAS RECEDED SOMEWHAT IN THE LAST YEAR. WHAT COULD THIS CONDITION BE, IS IT TREATABLE, CURABLE. DOES NOT HINDER NORMAL ACTIVITY
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 52 minutes later

Redness in legs of 2 years duration without any symptoms can be seen in following conditions.

1. Diabetic foot.
2. Stasis dermatitis (due to accumulation of blood in leg veins). This is common in over weight individuals.

Although it can also be a drug rash, as you are on medication with Doryx and Indomethacin, but it cannot be so chronic.

Here are my suggestions for you.

1. Get blood sugar level investigation done.
2. Use elastic stockings. This will help if it is stasis dermatitis.
3. If possible, please forward me a photograph of the lesions. This will help me in understanding your condition better.

You have a feature to upload the images by yourself on the right side of this query page. Please utilize it.

Don’t worry it is not a severe condition, as it has not progressed drastically in 2 years, and it can be cured.

Wish you a good health.

Thank you.

Follow-up: Have redness on leg with swollen ankle. What is causing this? Is this curable? 5 days later
I ATTACHED PHOTOS AS REQUESTED. PLEASE ADVISE

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 7 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

Regarding the rash on your legs.
I got all the images attached by you.
I still think that an endocrine cause would be causing these symptoms. Kindly get your blood sugar and thyroid profile checked.
My previous advice still hold good.
I also advice you to use elovera lotion twice daily, and a mild topical steroid like desonide once in night for 15 days.
Surely you will get benefit with this.
Thank you