Have red spots in labia minora. Feels sore to touch. What are these spots?

Hi. I am experiencing something unusual right now. And it bothers me..
So i have to reddish spots in my labia majora. Left side. At first they sore when they've been touched when i pee.
I stopped using my feminine wash and just wash it with warm water. I had last 3 or four days ago. But now i looked at it and it is now surrounded by bruise like color. They still sore but they are not lumps nor blisters. Can you tell me what are they? Or what is happening? Thank u
Posted Fri, 23 Nov 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later
From your symptoms it looks like vulvovaginitis to me which is inflammation or infection of the vulva and vagina. It may be caused by chafing or friction rub or allergy or an infection caused by bacteria or yeast. However the possibility of an infection is less in your case because infection is associated with change in vaginal discharge as well and it may change in color, consistency or smell.

From the symptoms it looks like the friction rub or chafing or allergy to soaps, detergents, shower gel and condoms etc.

I suggest you to follow up with your gynecologist as you need to get a pelvic swab sample done for the cervical discharge to rule out any bacterial or fungal infection. Apply cold compresses and wear cotton undergarments. Oral anti inflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful but they should be taken after a prescription from your doctor. Till that time, follow these simple lifestyle measures:

1) Avoid rough intercourse/ masturbation and use a water based lubricant during intercourse.
2) Wear cotton underwear and avoid douching or using feminine products.
3) Avoid using perfumed soaps and sanitary napkins, bubble baths and toiletries.
4) Change the undergarment daily, wash it in hot water and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent) and take adequate nutrition and sleep.
You can apply an antiseptic cream like neosporin in the area.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Have red spots in labia minora. Feels sore to touch. What are these spots? 41 minutes later
So based on the symptoms its not a kind of Std? Thats the thing that bothers me.
And i have my period right now so i cant refrain of using napkins right?
What about putting yogurt? Would that be a help? And sometimes i also have discharge with foul odor..
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Based on the symptoms you have described, STD is not likely.
You need to change the napkins frequently to avoid any aggravation of infection.
Putting yogurt will be helpful but treating it with topical antiseptic cream will bring an earlier improvement.
A foul smelling discharge further confirms a vaginal infection which needs to be treated with systemic antibiotics after a swab culture under the guidance of your gynecologist.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Have red spots in labia minora. Feels sore to touch. What are these spots? 11 hours later
Hi there! So i feel better now. After i put yogurt, the bruise like color went out. And it don't hurt that much anymore. :) but i'll visit Gyn this monday. Thanks for the help! :)
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Thank you.
I am glad I could help.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards