Ask a Urologist   »  

Have red spots and blotches on penis with burning sensation. What is it?

I have red spots or blotches on my penis and a burning sensation at tip of penis
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Skin lesions over penile region Detailed Answer: Hi, I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. Form your description, it looks like you have developed some lesions over the penile region. Please click some close up pictures of the skin lesions and upload them here on this page. You can also email the same at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul. Also I would like to know since when do you have these skin lesions? Is there any associated pain, itching or discomfort? Any previous history of similar lesions? Any development of fluid filled blisters? I am sure that I will be able to help you more once you follow up with the pictures and the above details. Dr Geetika Paul.
Follow-up: Have red spots and blotches on penis with burning sensation. What is it? 11 hours later
Pictures attached. Had on and off for 10 days but now consistent. Slight burning sensation at tip and today v slight itch No previous history No fluid filled blisters. Regards XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Fungal infection of glans Detailed Answer: Hi, I have seen the attached pictures. You seem to be having candidal balanitis which is a fungal infection of the glans region. I would like to know if you are diabetic or if you have been on antibiotics lately. Also was there any recent contact. This will help us in finding out the reason for this sudden infection. This is otherwise a harmless infection and will heal with proper treatment. You need to apply an antifungal agent containing clotrimazole (candesan cream) over the affected area twice a day. Clean the affected area with lukewarm saline water before application of the medicine. Do not apply any other oils or cream over the affected area. Keep the affected area clean and dry. Wear cotton undergarments. Hope it helps. If you have any other query, please ask. Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: Have red spots and blotches on penis with burning sensation. What is it? 11 minutes later
Thank you for prompt reply. Not diabetic or been on antibiotics. Yes recent foolish unprotected contact and problem developed after this contact. Is the treatment a prescription only medication or available over the counter.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: Balanitis fungal Detailed Answer: Hi again, This is an over the counter drug. You can buy it easily. But remember to apply it twice a day for atleast two continuous weeks. For the associated burning and discomfort, you can buy some antihistamines like benadryl. Dr Geetika Paul