Have red rashes on arms and legs. Taking benadryl. Any suggestion?

I have this red round itch look ringworm looking but its not multiply on my arms and legs some faded look like its healing but it appear on both my arms and legs the more you scratch it get harder under the skin and red it went to my legs now but more on both arms i size of pennies I been taking benadryl not working.
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

What you describe is indicative of a process that is actually spreading, compelling a diagnosis and treatment. It sounds to me more like fungal infection.

However, its necessary to get good physical examination by your scratching of an area of the skin for laboratory testing, cultures ans sensitivity tests with appropriate antibiotics could be very useful. IN case its a fungal infection,It might be important to associate a topical treatment with an oral anti fungal drugs for about 6weeks, considering that this process has been going on for quite some time. Terbinafine topical creams and Oral Fluconazole might be helpful, and reevaluated.
It is important to get to know a few details. When exactly you started experiencing such symptoms? Do you have pets in the house especially like dogs?
There is a condition with some worms called cutaneous larva migrans, associated with dogs most of the time. In case, your physician suspects this on physical examination, stool examination and treatment with Albendazole, and cutaneous anti histaminics to control itches for say three weeks is usually sufficient.

Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best of health. Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be.

Thanks and best regards,

Luchuo, MD.