Have red marks all over cheeks. Will it be cured by laser treatment?

Dermatologist
Question
I am 21 years old. For years i have had bad acne. Now i am left with red marks all over my cheeks. Initially i thought these would eventually subside but they have faded only slightly in four years. I understand that you would have to assess my face in order to make an accurate judjement. In this case, however, I ask you to speak on a general level given what you have witnessed over the years. In terms of laser treatments, is it possible to completely remove these marks with the correct laser and required number of treatments. Put simply, is it just a case of the more treatments the more improvement? Or is there only so much effect with additional treatments bei eng a w aste of time and money.
Posted Wed, 24 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi ,
Acne scars and pigmentation is now very much treatable. Lasers like fractional CO 2 laser and IPL or Intense Pulse Light are effective in treatment.
Fractional CO2 laser is the best technology available for scar treatment. On an average 6 -12 sessions are required. Average patients get satisfying results in 6 sessions. You can expect a maximum improvement of 80 %. Any number of sittings cannot give more than this improvement.
Hope I’ve made myself clear.
Let me know if you have any more concerns.
Regards.

Follow-up: Have red marks all over cheeks. Will it be cured by laser treatment? 16 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX

Is it true that red marks last very long only because there is still active acne present no matter how subtle. As such, is the most important objective to completely rid my face of the remainding active acne I have? Then proceed with laser treatments for the marks?

Or can I try both simultaneously?

Thankyou

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi and thanks again for following up.

To answer your queries,
1. Red marks are suggestive of active acne.

2. Active acne can also be treated by lasers like IPL or Intense pulse light systems.

3. You can go for alternate sittings of IPL and Fraxel laser. It can treat both active acne and scars.

Hope I've made myself clear. Let me know if you have other enquiries.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion. Your reviews are appreciated.

Dr Sudarshan.
Dermatologist.

Follow-up: Have red marks all over cheeks. Will it be cured by laser treatment? 3 hours later
Should benzoyl peroxide (10%) be discontinued prior to and in between laser treatments?

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later
Hi again,

You can continue benzoyl peroxide prior to and in between laser treatments.

Immediately after laser treatment (that is for 5 days) benzoyl peroxide should be avoided as the skin becomes sensitive immediately following laser.

Hope I answered all your queries. Let me know if you have other enquiries.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

DrSudarshan

Follow-up: Have red marks all over cheeks. Will it be cured by laser treatment? 9 hours later
Dr. One last question. I always seem to wake up with whiteheads around the mouth area. 95% of my acne consists of whiteheads around the mouth area. Is there a clear reason for this and is there a specific treatment tailored for whiteheads?

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later

Whiteheads are due to increased sebaceous activity.

Some specific procedures like chemical peeling and salicylic acid gels can be helpful in white heads. Some oral prescription drugs and topical creams are also helpful.

A visit to dermatologist would help in the suitable treatment options for you.

Hope this helps.