Have recurring painful lump on neck. Any permanent cure?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My son is 13 years old and has a painful lump about the size of a ten cent piece that comes and go in his neck.
This is about the 5th time in 18 months, I have taken him to the Dr and they were not to concerned and just to keep an eye on it. The lump lasts about 3 to 4 days and he does not appear unwell. Please help.
Posted Wed, 28 Nov 2012 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 40 minutes later
Considering the information you have provided it is most Probably a tender cervical lymph node in his neck which can enlarge and cause pain for few days before resolving .
Such lymphadenitis ( lymph node swelling ) is common in children and are most probably caused by various causes like any infection of ear , nose ,throat , scalp , dental problems or skin disorders etc.
Whenever the body fights against such problems it orders it's lymph nodes to function more and produce more white blood cells causing swelling and pain in the lymph node.
This can occur multiple times but it should usually resolve in a week or two.
If its a persistent lymph node then doctors might want to rule out serious causes like malignancy , tuberculosis etc.
As of now it doesn't seem much worrisome and Your son seems to be a healthy boy with the usual bouts of acute lymphadenitis .
So please don't worry . In case you still find it troublesome you can ask your doctor for blood investigations ( CBC ESR ) and FNAC of the lymph node to clear your doubts
Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing your son good health.