Have recurring, consistent dull ache around collarbone radiating to shoulder, no lumps. Suggest?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi.. My name is XXXXXXX 38 yrs old. Been having a recurring, sometimes consistent dull ache around my right collarbone that sometimes radiates to my right shoulder. Feels like I need to stretch that area constantly. Can't find any lumps. Pinched nerve?
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dull ache is typical of pain arising from bone.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Dull aching and consistent pain is typical of bony origin. As you are complaining of pain around the collar bone, an Xray of the clavicle (collar bone) is needed to rule out any bony lesions in it. If xray turns out to be negative, an MRI scan is necessary which will pick up any sort of pathology in and around the collar bone.

Radiating pain always suggests involvement of the nerves. Nerve conduction studies will diagnose the underlying problem,if any.

It looks like to me that you have two different problems producing two different pain patterns (dull aching pain & radiating pain). As your symptoms have been recurring, I suggest you to approach an orthopedic surgeon for a detailed workup and further management.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help for further clarification