Have recurring anxiety. Missed taking setraline. Suggest effective medicine and cure

I have been taken setralin for 4 years now I have been doing great with my anxiety, I had a full blown attack 4 years ago do to a choking on food situation. I was having recurring anxiety 4 years ago do to that episode. Since I have been on the setraline I have had very little problem The last 3 months I have missed taking setraline on a daily basis I take one and might miss 2 days then take one for 2 days and miss one day. The last 4 years once I had been taking the setralin for a month if I had anxiety it would pass quickly. The last week if I feel like if something is in my throat I will feel electrical type shocks in my arms and will feel anxious for about a minute I drink water and feel better. I know I have a phobia to chocking due to the situation 4 years ago but setralin has kept me from obsessing on it. Does not taking my setraline daily the last 3 months causing me to feel that short spurt of anxiety.
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 27 minutes later
The recurrent attacks of anxiety that you are having are likely to be due to not taking any anti anxiety medicine. Sertraline takes 3-4 weeks to downregulate the receptors and show a lasting effect. Taking it intermittently will not produce a complete effect.
To help this problem you can take a few measures-
1.Check your caffeine intake-Avoid drinking too much tea, coffee or cola.
2.Avoid alcohol and cigarette smoking.
3.Try physical exercise like aerobic exercises daily for twenty minutes.
4.Avoid your worries and problems or solve them with the help of your family and friends.
5. Learn controlled breathing.
6. Do simple relaxation exercises like yoga, meditation, etc.
You can also discuss the problem with your GP who will help you in choosing a good antianxiety drug with low day time sedation.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Have recurring anxiety. Missed taking setraline. Suggest effective medicine and cure 5 minutes later
I have taken the setraline but not daily the last 3 months like a should except for the last 2 days. I know I have obsessiveness when It comes to choking. Does setraline levels lower if you don't take it daily.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Not taking the medicine only for 2 days is not likely to lower the serum levels considerably. It will take at least 4-5 days for the effect of the medicine to wean off.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.