Have recently worn a heart monitor. Done with ECG, what are the findings?

I have recently worn a heart monitor for 30 days, I have Bradycardia of 43 BPM, SVT 188BPM, Ventricular Couplet 195 BPM, Ventricular Ectopy, PVC, PAC - What does all this mean?
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 2 hours later
Hello Ma'm
Before I go into technical details of these terms, I would be obliged if you tell me a few things :-

1. Why was this heart monitor given to you? What was the trouble or problem for which it was applied?
2. If you had any symptoms/ problem while wearing this monitor and if you recorded the time of those events?

Now about your report:-

Our heart has 4 chambers, 2 front chambers or ventricles or pumping chambers and two back or receiving chambers or atria. Normally our heart beat arises from sino-atrial node in right atria. It is called sinus rhythm. It travels through atria to ventricles via a bridge (A-V node). This activates ventricle, which in turn pump the blood to body.

1.     bradycardia of 43- That means the slowest heart rate you had was 43 beats per minute. If it was a sinus bradycardia (slower but origin from SA node) and you did not have any trouble at time of event (can correspond to the day and time on report) or it happened during the sleeping hours, there is nothing to worry.

2.     SVT of 188bpm. That means a rhythm which is not normal (not origination from your sinus node, the normal site) but instead originating from a nearby structure in the atria (the receiving chambers of heart). Again the importance will be gauged by any associated symptom and for how long it lasted.

3. Ventricular couplet 195- It means that there were times when rhythm had two consecutive beats originating (at a rate of 195 beats per minute) from pumping chambers i.e. ventricles. Again, No importance if you did not have associated symptoms.
4. Ventricular ectopy/ PAC/PVC- These are single beats arising from either atria (PAC) or ventricle (PVC) prematurely (before the time of origin of next SA node beat or sinus beat). No importance if you did not have associated symptoms.

You can ask for more follow-up questions along with details I asked for.
Waiting for your queries.

Follow-up: Have recently worn a heart monitor. Done with ECG, what are the findings? 3 hours later
I do have symptoms, fatigue, chest pain, tired legs, I "feel" myheart, as if I had been running all the time. The svt can last for hours and are exhausting. I have severe migraine with XXXXXXX recently I lost vision and had slurred speech. I had a PFO closure, my migraines have decreased from 3 week to 5 per month or so. I'm otherwise healthy but three fatigue is affecting my quality of life. If I exert myself one day I'm lethargic for two days afterward.
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 10 minutes later
Dear Ma'm
Thanks for the details.

If your SVT lasts so long and you feel symptomatic at that time, you must be given some therapy. Therapies for SVT include vagal maneuvers, Drugs and radio-frequency ablation. You must consult your electrophysiologist and proceed accordingly.

If you ever had a blackout/ loss of consciousness/ vertigo associated with palpitation? If yes, then you must see him on priority.

Hope this helps.
Sukhvinder XXXXXXX