Have rash around anus. Applied polysporum. Anything else to do?

General Surgeon
I have a rash around my anus. It cam on very quickly and I have washed the area often with soap and covered it with Polysporum.

Is there anything else that I can do? I saw a very small...less that a drop, of blood.
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Rash around the anus can be caused by skin inflammation in this region. Bacterial infection seems most probable. Also allergic skin reaction is possible.
Blood in the stool or from the anus is usually caused by hemorrhoids. However other large intestine issues like colon cancer should be ruled out as well. You need to know that over the age of 50, the risk of colon cancer significantly rises. That is why, every person over the age of 50 should have colonoscopy every 10 years.

I suggest you to visit general surgeon or proctologist, have rectal examination and consider colonoscopy.
To help with the rash, please wash your rectum after every stool (soap is great) and keep this area clean and dry. Sitz baths with potassium permanganate can be also helpful. Polysporum is not necessary.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.