Have quivering in the back of leg. Varicose veins removed. Concerned?

I have quivering in the back of leg below the knee. Varicose veins removed 3 years ago in same area. It will happen while leg is elevated, driving the car and or walking. Is this anything to be concerned about? Could it be veins or the muscle? Please advise. Thank you
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Elastic stockings or muscle pumps will help

Detailed Answer:
Hi Ma'am,

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Forum.

From the brief details provided, I feel that your problem is due to sluggish blood flow in the leg vessels. Veins carry away the impure blood from the legs. Following removal of varicose veins, usually new veins develop over a period of time, so as to maintain a normal blood circulation in the legs. Perhaps, there is inadequate formation of new channels.

Also, muscles on the back of legs, act as pumps to facilitate blood circulation in the veins. Hence, either the leg muscles are not pumping adequately or, under-developed web of new veins, is causing sluggish circulation. An improved circulation will relieve you of your problem.

Wearing of elastic stockings the whole day, frequent massage/squeezing of the affected muscles or, use of 'muscle pumps' (readily available in the market) will help in relieving the problem.

Also, ensure that your Hypothyroidism is fully corrected, as under-corrected hypothyroid state too can cause quivering of muscles.

Consult your doctor and discuss my opinion with him. He knows what would be best for you.

I will be happy to answer further clarifications, if any.

Warm regards,

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal