Have psychosis and depression. Taking aripiprazol. How to overcome this problem?

hello there, i am XXXXXXX and i have been diagnosed with psychosis and i take 20mg of aripiprazole, i remember having periods of depression, and seeing visions on the wall they appeared to be moving they were flat and as i was thinking about these images they were appearing on the wall like they were being projected onto the wall. I remember which sounded like my own voice repeating sentences over and over again while sitting down the voice was saying things like "an erection can occur through positive emotions such as excitement" and "you think about gays when you smell the smell" does this sound like i was hearing voices? i started to believe that people was reading my mind and that my behaviour changed like i was irritated.
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 40 minutes later

Important aspects of your query are:
•     Known case of psychosis
•     Currently on Aripiprazole 20mg per day

I can understand your concern related to symptoms and suffering you had in past. Psychosis is very severe psychological problems. It is associated with loss of contact with reality. It characterized by several symptoms. Some of them (which might had been experienced by you) are:
-Auditory hallucination: Hearing unreal/imaginary voices
-Visual hallucination: Seeing unreal/imaginary figures or images
-Thought echo: repetitive hearing own thoughts
-Thought broadcast: Own thoughts being known to others like mind reading

These symptoms lead to significant distress and depressive symptoms too. These symptoms are associated with absent insight, means patient consider them reality and do not consider himself ill.

Psychosis occur due neurochemical imbalance in brain in form of increase dopamine activity in brain. Aripiprazole is very good medicine for psychosis and it normalizes dopamine transmission in brain.

I am happy to see that you are improving. One of the sign of improvement is that: you are able to identify some of your symptoms and seeking information from us. So, continue your medicine as long term treatment is needed for psychosis.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.