Have psoriasis. What causes horizontal ridges on the fingernails?

I was worried about the h0rizontal ridges on my thumb nails, I heard that nail problems can be a sign of a more serious condition? also I have psoriasis, I have had it since I was 16. I also would like a little feed back on the medicine Oxytinin[Iam sure the spelling is wrong, I am sure you know what med it is. thank you so much. Ann
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Psoriasis
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 4 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Horizontal ridges on the fingernails can commonly be due to the following causes:
- Vitamin deficiency
- Iron deficiency
- Hypocalcemia (low levels of calcium)
- Injury to the nails
- Skin diseases like psoriasis

Rarely, they can indicate an underlying systemic illness. However, it is very rare for these nail changes to be the only manifestation of the underlying systemic disease.

In your case, since you already have psoriasis, it is quite likely to be due to this.
Wish you all the best.

I presume that you are referring to "Oxycontin" - this is a narcotic (opioid) pain relieving medication used in ther treatment or severe or intractable pain. It belongs to the same class as methadone, and is a scheduled or controlled drug - which means you will be able to get it only with a proper prescription from your doctor. It also has an addictive potential like methadone.

Some persons can have a protracted or prolonged withdrawal from opiods like methadone - which can last for weeks together. So, it is likely that you are feeling unwell due to the withdrawal effects rather than the side effects of Suboxone.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar