Have prostate cancer, radiation therapy, feeling warm, discomfort. Related?

Have prostate cancer, finished up radiation therphy in Feb 2011. For the past 5 or 6 days I have been feeling hot all day and night..temp is normal when taken. Other than being hot all the time (and still somewhat tired from the treatments--but getting better every day) in good health. 59/w/m. taking no medication. I have the air conditing set at 74 and still hot, wife has to wear a sweater. Very uncomfortable. Do you think that this has anything to do with the radiation treatments, or is it something else.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 33 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query,

Your question is a good one and I would like a little more information from you before providing final recommendations. You indicate that you finished radiation in February 2011. Can you give me some more detail about your prostate cancer such as when it was diagnosed, when a biopsy was done, what the XXXXXXX score was and what the trend in your PSA has been over time.

In addition I would like to know if you were treated with any hormonal therapy during the course of your care by an oncologist or urologist. Your symptoms could have something to do with radiation or your treatment or possibly something completely unrelated.

I look forward to the additional information regarding your medical history and from there we can formulate some thoughts and a plan for appropriate followup.

I thank you again for submitting your query.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Have prostate cancer, radiation therapy, feeling warm, discomfort. Related? 3 hours later
had daily external beam treatments (46 days) for prostate cancer. This is the first time I have had been hot all the time, started about 2 weeks ago.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello again and thanks for the followup,

There are a couple of things which come to mind here. The first consideration is the thyroid Malfunction.

A malfunction of the thyroid can create a situation of heat intolerance which is what you seem to be experiencing.

The best way to followup on that is to see your doctor for an examination and a blood test to evaluate the thyroid gland function.

Another thought has to do with male hormonal balance. If there is an imbalance of testosterone it may cause temperature sensitivity and some weakness as well.

Lastly an abnormality in the white blood count can sometimes trigger symptoms similar to those which you describe. This is less likely but also very easy to evaluate with a simple blood test.

I strongly suggest you to see your physician in the coming days to followup on these concerns. It is most likely that you have something which is very treatable.

I hope you have found this answer to be helpful. Should you have additional concerns I am available to address them.

Dr. Galamaga