Have polyps in sinuses and nose. Prescribed antibiotics. Using nasal med saline for nose. Remedy?

Feb 2013

My daughter is seeing an allergist. He tested and she has no allergies. He tested for polyps in her sinuses and nose but everything was clear . He just put her on an antibiotic for three weeks in case it was a a long term sinus infection. We go to see him tomorrow an my daughter who is 19 is very frustrated because she feels that nothing has really changed. She has been using the nasal med saline rinses for the nose with bottle to rinse with . It was getting tender after many days.the daughter just seems so unsure of what the problem is and who might be able to fix it for her.
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Before advising your daughter's problem, I want to know some information about your daughter's health problem.

What are her exact symptoms?

What is the duration of her symptoms?

Is she having fever, headache, cold, cough, throat pain, or any sinus pain?

Is she evaluated with investigations?

What are the results of tests if she was investigated?

When was the last visit to the allergist?

What medication is she taking now ?

Was there any similar complaints in the past of family?

These details will guide to know her health problem and to plan for relevant evaluation before coming to a conclusion and to give you an appropriate advise.

Hence I request you to kindly furnish the details in your follow up query to address her problem in a better way.

Follow-up: Have polyps in sinuses and nose. Prescribed antibiotics. Using nasal med saline for nose. Remedy? 23 hours later
She always feels stuffy and pressure in behind her nose and she has no sense of smell. Her symptoms started roughly 2years ago but has become more bothersome this past year.She has the odd fever , headache , cold sore throat, and sinus pai occasionally but we feel related to other things such as colds etc. She has been evaluated by an allergist and he did allergy testing and said she had no allergies. He also put her on three weeks of bracing antibiotics to see if that would help and also took an x-ray of her sinuses. For the last couple of months he has also been having her use the nasal saline rinses twice daily and also nasonex spray. Her last visit to the visit to the allergist was XXXXXXX 6, 2013. He now has put her on a 5 day course of prednisone to see if their is inflammation or small polyps the x-ray did not detect. He has also made an appointment for her to see an ear, nose and throat prevail it's in July 2013. I am her mother who is 48 years old, I also have no sense of smell either. I had testing when I was a teenager. The diagnosis for me was that I had extensive allergies that damaged inside of the nose, I also had a very high fever when I was young that my mother remembered and they also said that the caudorization that they did in the 1960's & 1970's could have also done damage. The could not pinpoint an exact cause though. The last time I remember smelling is when I was 9 years old.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 23 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

With the description of your daughter complaints, the problem is looking like a chronic allergic or inflammatory conditions of upper respiratory tract such as nose and para nasal sinuses.

Allergic or chronic inflammation of sinuses such as allergic rhinitis and chronic sinusitis will present with this type of picture.

X-ray may not detect the exact problem of sinuses.

CT Scan of the sinuses will exactly detect the underlying sinus problems like infection, polyps, and block of sinus openings.

I advise you to consult an ENT specialist for the examination of her nose, throat, ears, and sinuses and investigation like CT Scan to find out the exact problem.

Till that time continue the medication as advised by the allergist.

Ask her to avoid cool drinks, ice creams and avoid exposure to cold air, pollution and pollen as a general measures.

She can take a prescribed oral antihistamine like cetrizine once daily at bedtime for symptomatic relief of her nose congestion and stuffy nose.

Therefore I advise you to continue the medication as advised by the allergist and consult the ENT specialist for further management of your daughter problem.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.