Ask a Urologist   »  

Have polypoid mass arising from posterior wall of bladder. How serious is this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
I have polpoid mass arising from posterior wall of bladder. What is posterior wall? Size is 2.4 cm. How serious? Is this invasive to/in the muscle?
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 3 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,

The polyp in urinary bladder is a growth in the lining of the urinary bladder.

Urinary bladder is a bag like structure having two walls- one is anterior in the front and the other is posterior wall that is in the back.

So polyp is arising from the posterior wall of your urinary bladder.

The seriousness of the polyp depends on the nature and the type of swelling.

To know the type and nature of swelling, the polyp tissue which obtained by a biopsy or total excision should be sent for histopathological examination.

Biopsied or excised tissue of polyp will give the information regarding the invasion of the muscle of urinary bladder.

Histopathological examination by a pathologist will give the type and nature of polyp whether it is benign or malignant (cancer related) growth.

So I advsie you to consult Urologist for further evaluation and management including any intervention like biopsy or excision.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have polypoid mass arising from posterior wall of bladder. How serious is this? 13 hours later
What % of these growths are benign and what % cancerous

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 14 hours later

Thank you for your query,

Most of the polyps are benign, so individuals usually have an excellent prognosis following their removal.

Only 5 to 10 percent of bladder polyps will progress to cancer.

Therefore this suggests that 90 t0 95 percent of the growths are benign and the rest may progress to cancer.

But the risk factors for urinary bladder cancer are smoking, being exposed to industrial chemicals, men, and age above 55 years.

So I advise you to XXXXXXX Urologist for further evaluation with biopsy or complete excision and for histopathological examination of the polyp tissue.

Regards.