Have photophobia, chronic fatigue. Is it due to muscle weakness?

I have photophobia, very sensitive to bright light and my eyes get tired easily. I also have chronic fatigue, so I think it may be possible that my muscles in my eyes got weaker and my pupil may contract slower or contract less than expected. Maybe the weak muscles make my eyes feel tired so:

#1. do you think it's possible that muscle weakness can cause photophobia or tiredness?
#2. what tests can check for muscle weakness? what tests can check for pupil problems?

And I think it's also possible that my nerves got more sensitive and therefore sensitive to light. If my sensors get irritated so easily by light and I go to have an eye exam by the doctor, can the light used by the doctor further irritate and hurt my nerves and/or sensors? If such irritation does occur during eye exams, how long will it last, and will it cause permanent damage? Can my nerves did by excessive irritation?

What would be the treatment for eye muscle problems or pupil problems?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 15 hours later

I have noted down the details of the query. We have to get few things sorted out.

"Photophobia is not influenced by fatigue or tiredness".

Pupillary muscle contraction is tested by pupil reflex test. Chronic fatigue least affects the results of pupil reflex / pupillary muscle contraction. They are influenced by neurological - autonomic nervous system. Thus chronic fatigue / tiredness have no significant bearing in the development of photophobia.

Photophobia is attributed to corneal abrasion, ulceration and various other causes. A complete eye and general examination can be done to rule out the cause of photophobia. I encourage you to consult a competent ophthalmologist who can diagnose the exact cause.

Ophthalmic muscle / pupil problems are tested by clinical examination and by various other tests. The test can be performed under guidance of a competent ophthalmologist. Irritation that might occur during the examination will last only for a very short duration of time. So do not be worried to get an ophthalmic examination.

In brief I do not think you would have a pupillary problem. Your chronic fatigue is one factor which is to be investigated. A proper eye examination and relevant tests can determine the root cause of photophobia. Treatment can then be planned to address the root cause.

Hope my answer is helpful. Should you have any additional concerns, I will be available to address them.