Have persistent long-term bulimia. Diarrhoea and constipation is a side-effect of prolonged bulimia. Cause?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
I have a question in regards to persistent long-term bulimia. I am a healthcare professional myself but have suffered from this ailment for many years. I have accessed several articles on this topic but have am not finding much consistency. I know diarrhea is a side-effect of prolonged bulimia but constipation is much more prevalent. I'm trying to find clinical evidence or varying opinions of persistent diarrhea from bulimia consistent over a 2 year time period. I have been tested for celiac and nutrient deficiency. I am trying to verify that prolonged diarrhea (no solid stools for 2 + years) can actually convince the body to retain nutrients while constantly rejecting food.
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in Eating Disorders

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

In bulimia, diarrhea is due to ingestion of laxatives excessively.

Persistent diarrhea in patients with bulimia is due to excessive ingestion of laxatives.

Constipation is usually related to other reason or may be seen in bulimia with nonpurging compensatory measures such as excessive exercises.

Prolonged diarrhea will lead to many complications like nutritional deficiencies associated with the passage of nutrients in the loose stools.

I will lead to dehydration, hypotension, and electrolyte imbalance.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have persistent long-term bulimia. Diarrhoea and constipation is a side-effect of prolonged bulimia. Cause? 5 minutes later
Thank you for your answer. I did not include anything in regards to laxative use. What if laxatives have not been used for 4 years.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 34 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

If you did not include laxatives, the other pathological causes of diarrhea to be ruled out.

The causes of prolonged diarrhea like irritable bowel syndrome, hyperthyroidism, lactose intolerance, inflammatory bowel disorders, hormonal causes, and intestinal secretory diarrhea to be ruled out by investigations.

Drugs which cause diarrhea also to be kept in mind.

Therefore I advise you to go for consultation with physician or a gastroenterologist to evaluate for the causes of prolonged diarrhea.

Regards.