Have persistent cough and itchy throat. Took fonadil. Any alternate medication?

Allergist and Immunologist
I have cough everyday in the morning & it will not go until I vomit, no matter I drink or not. And I feel itchy feeling in my throat until I vomit.
I took medicine called FONADIL for 2 days 2 capsule & I become ok for one year, but since it has major side effect they stopped allowing it from health department in my country.
I tried other type of medicine but no use.
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 6 hours later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thank you for writing to us.

The persistent cough with itchy throat does suggest an allergic cause, although if you have significant sputum production, infectious causes (such as TB, etc) need to excluded. A Chest X XXXXXXX and or HRCT Chest would also be required as first - line radiological investigations.

If all the above have been done and not conclusive, you will need skin prick tests or specific IgE blood test against the extended aeroallergen panel, particularly taking into consideration the indigenous pollens in your area. House dust mite allergy is a possibility, and the tests will be able to confirm that. A total IgE level (blood test) will also reveal your atopic status.
By Fonadil, you may have meant Foradil that is Formoterol, a long acting beta agonist, that is only recommended after lung function tests.

Long acting antihistamines such as allegra 180mg and nasonex nasal spray for 3 months is recommended to see the difference.

I hope that was useful.
Best Wishes.