Have permanent bruise on inner part of ankles. How to get rid of this?

General Surgeon
Hi, I am a 37 year-old healthy and athletic male. I am phyically fit at 200 lb and 73". My inner ankles have what appear to be permanent bruises on the inside near the rear part of my feet. There's also spider-like veins surrounding these bruises. These bruises or skin mottling have been there for several years now. There's no pain. I lift weights 3 times/week and run 5-6 miles per week. I have photos of both my ankles to further help with your analysis of my condition. I appreciate your help.
My concern are: what can I do for this condition, what is this called, and will it ever go away?
Posted Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later

Thank you for the query.

What you can see on your ankles are nothing more than varicoses. The spider-like veins are also varicoses in the superficial small veins. The bruises are a result of deeper and bigger veins varicoses (however both the little ones and big once do belong to superficial veins). The big onces for sure do get smaller or even can disappear while the leg is elevated.
Such condition is caused by increased blood pressure in the veins due to valves destruction, long time standing or even hot baths. All this factors lead to veins enlargement as its wall is very flexible.
You do not have to do anything with such low-advanced varicoses if it does not bother you. If you feel uncomfortable with it, you may visit surgeon and as for laser therapy of it.
To prevent development of this condition you should avoid long standing (and when standing try to move your calf muscle - it works like a pump), after every hot bath you can wash your legs with lukewarm water. Diosmin medicines can also improve veins.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.