Have patch of skin on leg that feels like burning and tearing. No discoloration and bruising. Suggest?

I have a 6X6 patch of skin on my leg that feels like its burning and tearing. there is no discoloration, brusing of rash.
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be due to nerve irritation.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Since there is no visible superficial rash in the area, the burning and tearing sensation in the area seems to be due to a superficial nerve irritation.
The causes include injury to the back or spinal cord, Lack of blood supply to the legs as a result of plaque formation in the blood vessels, diabetes, stroke, multiple sclerosis and underactive thyroid. Abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body and a lack of vitamin B12 can also cause such sensations.

Firstly, I’ll request you to get your blood sugar/HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) tested to rule out Diabetes mellitus. Also get your thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vit B12 for some days and see if the symptoms improve.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.