Have palpable lymph nodes in groin, painless and bigger than pea. Suggest?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
hi I am a 32 yr old healthy female with palpable lymph nodes in left groin. I wouldn't be overly concerned but they feel 'joined together'. I'm a terrible 'goolgler' so have found lots of references to 'matted' lymph nodes and am freaking out. The nodes themselves are painless and only slightly bigger than pea size. Should I be concerned? Thanks
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hi. the great majority of causes are benign.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX
We commonly see patients who come when they palpate swollen lymph node or bump in groin area. Those who are hypohondriacs or googlers come terrified and think of the worst such as lymphomas, melanoma and other malignancies.
The true is that this is the last thing to think of especially in your age.
So waht is it? it is questionable is it lymoh node at can be any subcutaneous lesion such as lipoma, ateroma or fibroma.These can be surgically removed under local anasthesia. enlarged lymph nodes are seen in any infection ,urinary,std, wounds,injuries and bites on legs,pelvic infections or systemic infections(mono, herpes...).
SO I dont think you should be concerned. you should do basic blood tests to see inflammatory markers and wbc. if this continues to grow or pain occur,you should do ultrasound with needle biopsy if necessary. WIsh you good health. Feel free to ask.
Follow-up: Have palpable lymph nodes in groin, painless and bigger than pea. Suggest? 11 minutes later
Thank you very much. I need to see my GP later in the week for something unrelated so will mention it then and do any blood tests she suggests but for now you have put my mind at rest.

Best wishes,
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Yes, there is no need to hurry,this is not an emergency of course. white blood count will rule out lymphomas and leukemias but trust me you would have some other signs in such diseases. if you notice paleness, fever, signs of std or burning pain while urinating you should visit gp because you may need antibiotic treatment. If not, then you dont have to worry. Regards