Ask a Dentist   »  

Have painless hard bump on gum and under tongue. Is this a serious problem?

Hello I have a hard bump below my bottom teeth under my gum on the inside of my mouth under my tounge and it is painless...could this be something serious
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
There are a few possibilities for the hard bump under the tongue which need to be ruled out and these include:

1) It can be a swollen lymph node like a submandibular lymph node which has swollen in response to oral infections.

2) Second possibility is of salivary gland swelling like sublingual gland infection or blockage which lies beneath the mucous membrane of the floor of the mouth. The sublingual and submaxillary (also called the submandibular) glands empty into the mouth through ducts under the tongue.

Swelling of these glands due to blockage of these ducts leads to interference of production and drainage of saliva and pain and irritation. It may be due to some obstruction like stone or tumor, inflammation and infection.

3) Third possibility is of any cyst or benign skin growth.

You need to have a direct examination of the area by a dentist to confirm the diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.