Have painful lump under skin between eye and nose. Had red eyes. Suggest?

Ophthalmologist
Question
hello I YYYY@YYYY a painful lump under my skin near my eye between my nose and under left eye.

Last week my lower part of the white of my eye was red, now cleared.
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Inflammatory swelling involving the glands of lid

Detailed Answer:

The symptoms that you describle seems like inflammatory swelling involving the glands of the eyelids - hordeolum externum or hordeolum internum.

We treat this condition with antiinflammatory drugs along with antibiotic eye ointment. Symptomatic relief can be obtained from hot compression applied to the swelling. Recurrent condition however will need evaluation.

If you can send me the details like exact location of the swelling and photographs if any, I will be able to answer more accurately.

Hope I have answered your query.
Thank you

Follow-up: Have painful lump under skin between eye and nose. Had red eyes. Suggest? 2 hours later
Thank you

The swelling has now moved to my cheek near the left nostriland is not vosible but is tender on touching. It feels the size of a peaand is fairly soft. I don't know how else to describe it.

XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Inflammatory swelling of the lacrimal sac or skin

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health Care Magic
It seems from the description that it is inflammatory swelling involving the glands of the skin between the eye and nose or that involving the lacrimal sac which drains tear secretions from the eyes. The initial treatment for both these conditions is same as described above by antinflammatory drugs, antibiotic drugs and hot compress.
These two can be differentiated from a simple test, by applying pressure over the swelling. If the size of the swelling decreases accompanied by discharge into the eyes, it indicates swelling of the lacrimal sac. The swelling involving the lacrimal sac requires further treatment depending on the whether it is recurrent or associated with watering from the eyes.

Hope I have answered your query.
Thank you