Have painful lump inside butt cheek. Started increasing in size. What should be done?

Question
I have a lump on the inside of my right butt cheek. It's about an inch to the side of my rectum. Slightly painful. I noticed it about a month ago but at that time it seemed smaller in size. You cannot see it as its flesh colored but you can feel the lump. I have no blood around it or bloody stools. Do recall not so much straining but getting a very awkward feeling of pressure and dull pain from my rectum after a bowel movement but have not had constipation. My bowel are regular at least once daily. I do recall having some itching and irritation around my anus but again nothing to bothersome . Since the lump has slightly increased in size it feels rather uncomfortable and I feel more pain. What could it be? What can I do to get rid of it.
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Prasad 5 hours later

Your description is suggestive of a focal lump. Pilonidal cyst or less commonly lipoma is encountered around this location. An infected hair follicle presents are more painful that what you describe.

Therefore in all probabilities this seems to be a pilonidal cyst to me. Focal examination of the area can confirm my assumption.

Topical antibiotic creams such as neosporin can be applied to the affected area to prevent secondary bacterial infection. I also suggest you to maintain the area clean and dry.

This lump is likely to grow further until it erupts to drain the contents. And since increase is size can cause more pain and discomfort, I would suggest you to plan a visit to your surgeons clinic at the earliest. He/she can plan aseptic incision and drainage if deemed appropriate.

Hope this information was helpful. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Best Wishes