Have pain, itching, swelling and bruise on leg. Easy way to get cure?

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon
I had an itch on my leg that came on suddenly and for about ten minutes remained . I scratched it through my workout pants. A large bruise appeared on my leg right then and more formed around it. It's swollen and painful to the touch and two more bruises are beginning to form. There six all together with the largest one two to three times the others . What could this be
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Souvik Adhikari 1 hour later

From your history it appears that you have a condition which we commonly label as urticaria. This condition is characterized by the formation of wheals over the surface of the skin which might progress to envelope quite a few areas of the body. These wheals can vary from minute lesions to large areas and might resemble bruises. Note however that there is a difference from actual bruise in which there is bleeding into the skin from this condition in which the blood vessels are dilated in a specific area of the skin making it more prominent and making it appear as a bruise.

Most frequently urticaria is caused by exposure to a particular allergen although nonallergen causes like exercise, friction from clothing can also be responsible. This is different from contact dermatitis where there is localized eruption following contact with a particular substance.

The best way to manage this is to take antihistamines which can be obtained by consulting your GP. Also, application of an emollient like calamine lotion would allay itching over the bruise-like areas. Do not scratch the areas as it would lead to increase in the size of the lesions and unnecessary discomfort.

Hope you have benefited from my answer. In case of any confusions or if the lesions keep on increasing please consult your GP for a proper clinical examination.

Wish you all the very best!

Dr. Souvik Adhikari
Follow-up: Have pain, itching, swelling and bruise on leg. Easy way to get cure? 1 hour later
So is it normal to have pain and swelling where
the bruises are? Also the itching happened
only once for about ten minutes then no
more itching since then; ( this was Thursday)
The bruised area has increased each day
all within the same area. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Souvik Adhikari 5 hours later
Yes, the inflammatory process leads to release of chemicals which cause itching. If you have persistent bruising then it implies that you have some amount of bleeding inside the skin. If the bruising increases then it should be evaluated by a doctor as some tests might be necessary to note the bleeding propensity in your case considering your age.

Other than that, this is a harmless condition and should resolve by itself. It would be great if you could possibly upload some pictures of the bruised areas.

Best wishes!