Have pain in forearm, advil relieves it. On HP and cholesterol medicine. Suggest?

I have pain in L forearm for 3 wks. now. How long should I wait before I should go to clinic to have it checked out. Advil relieves it some but am not good at taking it on a regular basis. I take HP meds and Cholesteral meds.
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Varnika J.P. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consult now.can be due to injury or overuse

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

Left forearm pain is due to many causes.the most common one include-

1. Left brachial plexus injury- it a very common occurrence in people who indulge in contact sports.the nerve can get injured and causes constant pulling type of pain.

2.Sprain/strain- sprain occurs when there is over stretching of ligaments and strain occurs when muscles are torn. these occur after strenuous activities like lifting heavy loads etc

3.Tendinitis - this occurs when the tendon attached to the bone gets causes a constant pain.

4.Angina- in many cases left arm pain is take. to be in connection with heart disorder. but this kind of pain is accompanied by palpitations,sweating,dyspnoea etc

5. improper sleeping posture- sometimes the cause is as simple as improper sleeping posture that causes pain due to pressure in the arm

sibce you have been takin medication for quite a while now I would advise you to consult an orthopedecian.. he would ask you to perform a series of hand and arm movements to pinpoint the exact cause - is it nerve related or other
and would give you medication accordingly.

also in such cases regular arm exercises are beneficial in improving the pain and also preventing any further complication.

Please bear in mind that pain killers should not be used for a long time as they cause severe side effects on kidneys and other organs.

you can go with hot compresses instead they reduce any swelling and also minimise the pain.

Thank You,
You can contact me for further queries.

Follow-up: Have pain in forearm, advil relieves it. On HP and cholesterol medicine. Suggest? 3 hours later
Thank you for your advise.

Brief Answer:
Thank you for your feedback

Detailed Answer:

If you are concerned about any association to heart ailment, I would advise you to take an ECG to rule out your doubt.

Otherwise, no reason to worry.

wishing you a speedy recovery

Thank you,

You can contact me for further query.