Have pain in chest after running on treadmill. Why is that happening?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Question
i have some pain in my chest after running on the treadmill for 30 mins
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 4 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,
Thank you for your query.

I understand that you are a 27 year old male with chest discomfort after running on the treadmill for 30 minutes.

However, to answer your query better, I need to know some more details from you.

1) Do you get chest discomfort on climbing up stairs, during unaccustomed work, walking after a full stomach, etc (other than the treadmill?)
2) Are there any cardiac risk factors like diabetes, hypertension, abnormal cholesterol, family history of heart disease, smoking, sedentary lifestyle, obesity, etc?
3) Have you got any formal evaluation done in the form of ECG, echo, XRay, or a formal treadmill test?
4) Is if possible for you to do the above and upload the results on this website?
5) Also, what is the speed of the treadmill and the inclination when you developed the chest discomfort? Was your heart rate or BP being monitored at that time?

Since the pain appears to be related to the treadmill exercise, it would be necessary to get a formal complete physical examination by a qualified physician/ cardiologist and the relevant investigations as mentioned above done.

Waiting for the answers to my questions.
With regards,
Dr Raja Sekhar Varma, MD, DM,
Consultant Interventional Cardiologist