Have pain and swelling on labia. No relief from acetaminophen. How to get relief?

I have a very swollen,hard to the touch and painful left labia. It came up out of the blue. I was not sexually active for more than 1 month. This has happened 4 days ago. I gave tried ice and acetaminophen and the swelling is still there, I can hardly sit nor walk. What can I do to get the swelling down? Is there something that can make the swelling go away? It is painful! Please any advice is helpful!
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 42 minutes later
The swollen and painful labia can be due to-
1. Bartholin's cyst or a Bartholin's abcess. This is a swelling arising from a small gland in your labia majora due to infection or blockage of it's duct.
2. Infected hair follicles - can form small absesses, which can cause a small swelling, and they are associated with redness and throbbing pain.
3. Vaginal congestion- usually seen in pregnancy.
However nothing can be said for sure until & unless you see a Gynecologist in person & get yourself evaluated.
You will need systemic antibiotics to be prescribed in addition to the ice and pain killers you are already taking.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.