Have osteonecrosis, taking motrin and tylenol. Pot on cozaar for hogh BP. Side effect of Motrin?

I HAVE OSTEONECROSIS OF THE LEFT KNEE FOR WHICH I AM TAKING MOTRIN 800mg, 2-3 Times a day for. I HAVE TAKEN TYLENOL AS WELL, BUT IT SIMPLY IS NOT AS EFFECTIVE EFFECTIVE AS MOTRIN. I WORK 12 hour shifts and am on my feet alot and need the pain relief. YESTERDAY I WAS PUT ON COZAAR 50mg/day for hypertension. 170/90 resting. MY DOCTOR TOLD ME THAT IT COULD BE THE MOTRIN HELPING DRIVE UP THE B/P and HYPERTENSION does run in my family. MY BLOOD PRESSURE HAD BEEN NORMAL UNTIL A YEAR AGO WHEN I STARTED TAKING MOTRIN. My question is, how often do you see HYPERTENSION as a side effect of Motrin and is it prudent to continue taking Motrin while trying to control HYPERTENSION. I AM A 61 year old female . Thanks
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 38 minutes later

thanks for your important question. with some frequency particularly in patients over the age of 65,we do see hypertension induced by ibuprofen and similar medications; the mecanism is that they block the presence of certain substances that regulate kidney flow, and the kidney erroneously believes its not getting enough blood and then signals the body to increase blood pressure. You probably should not take these family of medications. a reasonable option that is well tolerated would be tramadol for you. I would also worry about irreversible kidney damage with ibuprofen. please talk to your doctor about other options for pain control

yours truly

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN