Have one ovary. Ultrasound showed cyst on ovary. What does it indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I recently had an ultrasound and found several issues, what is the likelihood this is treatable with out a hysterectomy?Uterus measures a 7.4 x 3.6 x 3.6 cm. Endometrium measures 10 mm in thickness. Inhomogeneous density is seen in the myometrium on the left. No discrete mass is seen. Right ovary is not seen. Left measures a 6.1 x 4.7 x 5.5 cm. 3.7 x 3.9 x 4.1 cm left ovarian cyst is seen. This is shows an overlying artifact or layering echogenic fluid. Color Doppler is seen. No free fluid. Nabothian cyst is noted. IMPRESSION: 3.7 x 3.9 x 4.1 cm left ovarian cyst as described above. Recommend followup exam in 10-12 weeks. Endometrial thickness is 10 mm. Nonspecific inhomogeneous density in the myometrium. No discrete mass. Small fibroid is not excluded. Please note I only have one ovary , the left, right was removed as a baby, and I already have 2 children.
Posted Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Followup is needed Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. According to your ultrasound findings : -Uterus is of normal size. -Usually 10mm of endometrial thickness can be seen in luteal phase. -Inhomogeneous density they mentioned could be due to adenomyosis or small fibroid. -Left ovarian cyst is appearing as simple cyst. Because: - Size less than 5 cms, -Containing fluid only, -No evidence of septations. So, if that adenomyosis or fibroid is not causing any problem like excessive bleeding during periods, severe dysmenorrhea etc, no need to worry. Possibly the cyst may regress by its own. As they suggested followup is needed after 2 to 3 months to observe the changes in the cyst. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.

Follow-up: Have one ovary. Ultrasound showed cyst on ovary. What does it indicate? 7 minutes later
thank you, you said no problems, the reason I went to begin with is , severe bloating and pressure , I feel like I am pregnant, and on some days bad lower back pain and my cycles are real erratic, every 2-3 weeks for the last 4-5 months, would this cause this? and would these symptoms change treatment

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hormonal fluctuation Detailed Answer: Hi, The symptoms you are having could be due to hormonal fluctuation in the perimenopausal age group. Usually around 4×4 cms cyst may not lead to severe symptoms unless there is torsion or hemorrhage. Your irregular cycles could be possibly due to hormonal effect. Better to go for estimation of CA 125 levels once. If the levels are within normal range, that confirms the benign nature of the cyst. Then with your doctor's advice you can go for progesterone pills for 2 to 3 months. This will help in regularization of the cycles and also in regression of the cyst. Take care.