Have nightmares about being tortured, scratches on leg, taking Synthroid. Need help

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have nightmares that im always trapped, being chased,raped, beaten and it seems like i am right their, i wake up feeling like this has really happened to me. Im scared,and sometimes feel like this has really happened to me. Now im having trouble knowing if it has really happened or not. Here lately i feel like i should go to the E.R. for sedation. I take no drugs, only synthroid. These nightmares are like i leave my body sleeping and am actually somewhere that im being tourchered. Please help me before i loose my mind. Thank you so much! last time i had scratches on my leg and really thought it was from my life like dream.
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum .
Yes , I completely understand what you are going through .
This phenomenon is called dissociation where a person feels out of his / her body and seems to witness the happenings which are not real but delusions of mind.
Yes they do seem real to you and you may experience Pain, anxiety , fear associated with the incident . However though not real it's not just a nightmare and can occur in various psychological or psychosomatic illnesses like anxiety , panic attacks , delusional psychosis or sleep disorder . For the best treatment and syptomatic relief you need to consult a therapist or a psychiatrist to confirm the diagnosis and start appropriate management .
Please do not worry as this can happen to anyone and can be cured with appropriate treatment .
So please do not hesitate to consult your doctor even if this occurs only during sleep . The earlier treated the better the prognosis .
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.