Have multiple recurring cysts in the underarms. How to remove this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have multiple hard recuring cysts under my under arm that are painful. What should I do?
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 34 minutes later
The multiple recurring cysts in the underarms are usually caused by infections in the area- most likely bacterial infections. The cysts are seen near the hair follicles due to blocked glands.
These infections occur primarily due to antiperspirant use or shaving with a dirty razor. Other causes like breast cancer or lymphadenopathy needs to be ruled out after a proper examination since these are recurrent in your case. Diabetes also needs to be properly controlled to cure the recurrent infection.
You need systemic antibiotics to take care of the infection. Surgical drainage or removal may be considered if these are large in size. You need to consult your dermatologist for a direct examination and proper treatment.
Meanwhile you can keep the area clean, do a hot fomentation and take a mild pain killer for temporary relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.