Have moderate hearing loss and tinnitus. Feeling pain and pressure with fluid in ears. What's wrong?

ENT Specialist
Hi! I have had moderate hearingloss in my left ear since around new years eve. I woke up and i felt pressure in my ear, with ear ache and i didnt hear much on that ear. I went to the doctor around 7-10 days later and he didnt se anything wrong with my ear, but i had fluid in both my ears. I went back for a week ago and i still had fluid. My hearing is still bad in all frequencies and it really affect my day, i also have tinnitus and earache. When i try to pull my nose and blow up in the ears, i get ear ache in my left ear(not in the right). It feels funny in that ear. I have used decognestant nosespray and with pills, but it still feels funny in my left ear. What could be wrong? I guess my hearing is at least 20-40 db lower on my left ear on almost all frequencies. Best Regards
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. If you can share a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram), it will help rule out any SensoriNeural Hearing Loss (SNHL).

2. I am assuming that you have a Conductive Hearing Loss (CHL) due to a fluid build up in the Left Ear. A Tympanogram (Impedance Audiometry-I/A) will settle the issue.

3. Your hearing loss, tinnitus, pressure and ear ache is consistent with fluid trapped in the middle ear due to a XXXXXXX (Serous Otitis Media). This is usually due to Eustachain Tube Dysfunction (ETD).

4. Since your medication has not resolved this XXXXXXX over about two months and since the fluid tends to dry and thicken to a 'glue' like consistency (Glue Ear), you may require a myringotomy with grommet insertion in your Left Ear.

5. If you can upload the PTA, I/A and eardrum examination and nasal endoscopy reports, I will be able to advise further treatment options.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.