Have mirena coil. Having pain in ovaries and dark brown discharge. No bleeding and no pain. What to do?

Mar 2013
Hi I'm 31, my daughter is 2yrs 3months and I have a mirena coil and have had it for over 18 months now. Recently I have been having pain in both ovaries, sometimes simoultaniously, sometimes one or the other and I'm also having a dark brown discharge. This never happened with the previous mirena coil I had fitted, I had no bleeding or pain whatsoever with that one.
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 49 minutes later
The Mirena can lead to abnormal bleeding / discharge apart from your normal cycles.
However it should not be causing you the pain.
You might be having pelvic infection leading to pain and abnormal discharge.
Another reason could be endometriosis.
Stress, anxiety, hectic travelling, rapid weight changes, hypothyroidism, polycystic ovaries - all cause abnormal discharge.
However, the pain is explained only by infection ,or a mild bowel inflammation or endometriosis.
You might be having some kind of ovarian cysts or uterine fibroids etc.
Please have a complete gynecological evaluation , including a pelvic check up, transvaginal ultrasound and relevant laboratory testing to formulate a diagnosis.
Feel free to discuss further.