Have megaloblastic anemia, taking Eldervit. Have gas, stomach discomfort and frequent bowel movements. What to do?

I was diagnosed for megaloblastic anemia about 3 years ago by gastroenterlogist. My Heamoglobin levels had gone low at that point. I have been advised to take 'Eldervit' injections on a monthly basis. I had been suffering from gas,discomfort in the stomach and frequent passing of stools. I had found some relief untill couple of months ago. Now I continue to have same problems inspite of taking the "Eldervit" injections regularly. I am not sure what to do now.
Posted Fri, 28 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 2 hours later

Thanks for contacting Healthcare Magic for your queries.

Megaloblastic anaemia occurs because of poor absorption of vitamin B12 from the gastro-intestinal (GI) tract. In your case obviously there is some GI pathology which is causing gas and frequent stools. The same problem also earlier led to anaemia.

You need to be investigated for the cause of malabsorption. These investigations should include few basic blood tests, stool examination, Upper GI endoscopy with duodenal biopsy and colonoscopy. Since you have thyroid and diabetic problem there can be some infection in your GI tract for which you should take a caurse of antibiotics. May be you can see your local gastroentrologist who can organise these.

Hope my suggestions help you.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal