Have lump in abdomen, makes squishy sound, painful with exercise. What is this?

I am a 54 year old female, who is approximately 40 lbs overweight. Over the last year, I developed a lump in my abdomen, which makes a squishy sound like air moving through it when pushed on, or with normal movement. The lump becomes fixed, and painful with exercise, and then returns to making squishy sounds when at rest. What is this?
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

I would like know something more from your side so that I can answer your query properly.

1. Location of lump: where is located?
2. Gradually increasing in size, over a period of time?
3. Increase while coughing?
4. Any way near scar of previous surgery ?

Please write again with details.

Will be waiting for reply.

Follow-up: Have lump in abdomen, makes squishy sound, painful with exercise. What is this? 47 minutes later
1. Approximately 2 1/2" up from belly button;
2. Yes;
3. Extends out when coughing, and
4. It was there prior to my recent Gall Bladder surgery last year, and there is no obvious scars located near the lump.

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Good to hear from you again.

It seems that what you might be having is hernia. (Hernia means abnormal coming out of intestine from defect in muscles of abdomen).

At times due to any reason when the muscles of abdomen become weak this can happen.

When you stand, do strenuous work or cough it increases in size. When you lie down it reduces or disappears.

As the intestine moves,it is a tubular structure you can hear sound when your press it.

Please consult general surgeon and get your self examined. You might be asked for some investigations like ultrasound to have idea about size of defect.

Normally this hernia requires surgery. Please do not ignore this and visit your doctor soon.

I hope this helps.