Have lump behind ear and chest pain. Should I start antibiotic?

Feb 2013

Good morning :) I have a lump behind my left ear (about 1.5cm, warm and painful to touch) - appeared 2 days ago. Today I woke up with chest pain on the left side (like I´d pulled a muscle) .. Should I start antibiotics? (you can get them without prescription here)
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 26 minutes later
Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,
The lump behind your left ear may be due to an inflammed and infected lymph node in postauriculare area or a local skin infection like furuncle as it is warm and tender.
Don't neglect the left side chest pain (even though you feel it is due to muscular problem) as some times cardiac pain or acidity will present with similar pain.
Self medication is not advised without prescription as inappropriate use of antibiotic may lead to drug resistace and that antibiotic may not be a good choice for the present infection.
Antibiotic may be required for the infected swelling, but consult your Physician for the examination of the swelling, to look for any infection in the draining area if the swelling is due to an infected lymphnode, evaluation of your chest pain and for appropriate antibiotic treatment.
Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.
Follow-up: Have lump behind ear and chest pain. Should I start antibiotic? 21 minutes later
Thanks for your reply - I do not have a physician here so the only option is to go to the emergency dept. at hospital - which i don´t want to do (they are busy enough)... I don´t think it´s a furuncle (it´s not red) (but then i´m not a doctor) - if it´s a lymph node that´s infected or inflamed would penicillin be ok to take (obviously a full course) to see what happens? I understand you are only offering advice but I would appreciate it. thanks again. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 9 minutes later
Thank you for your query,
You are welcome.
Penicillins (like amoxicillin) is ok if it is an infected or inflammed lypmhnode due to a bacterial infection and take in adequate dose for appropriate duration as per the prescription.
You watch for the response like decreasing pain, size and tenderness.
Hope I have answered your query up to your satisfaction.