Ask a Urologist   »  

Have lump attached to testicle. Can this develop into cancer? What should I do?

General Surgeon
Question
sir, I was examined by an urologist before 10 days(on 6/5/2013) for a lump attached to the upper part of my left testicle which was there since 11 years and he said that it is nothing but an epididymic cyst (also he saw the ultrasound report which was done on 26/04/2013 which is attached with this). But said that before seeing the ultrasound report he is sure about the diagnosis and he confirmed it after seeing the ultrasound report. He said that it is not harmful and can be left as it is. If it pains in future then it will be removed by surgery. Today(17/05/2013), when I saw my scrotum (during bath and also after bath) I saw that the skin on that said lump sometimes appears more smooth than the skins on other part of scrotum and some times looks more rough than skin on other areas on testicle. I don't know whether it is psychological or it is cancer ? The urologist said me that there is no cancer in my testicle but can it develop within this period or it is more psychological ? I am afraid sir please help me. What should I do ? My age -32 sex- male
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

You need to imagine that scrotum is not a skin only. Inside of it, there is a muscle. This muscle has a very important function. It protects testis from overheating. And if the temperature gets too high, the skin on testis gets extended, so the surface of the skin gets larger (and more temperature can be dispersed). If its too cold for testis, the skin gets rough. And each part of the scrotum can look quite different (if its about the skin surface). This is very normal. And should not be a reason to worry.

Your urologist has told you that epididimic cyst is not harmful. And this is true. It does not become a cancer. As long as there is no pain, swelling, testicle enlargement, cancer seems very unlikely.

So it seems that it is only a fear. Your cysts are there for 11 years. And have not become a cancer since that time. The possibility that it will become a cancer in the future is almost nil. So please do not be afraid. No need to worry.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Have lump attached to testicle. Can this develop into cancer? What should I do? 19 minutes later
thank u sir. that area is having very less hair. Is it XXXXXXX ? if I feel a little pain should I be worry for cancer or it may be due to that cyst ? U have mentioned that epididymal cyst cant become cancer As long as there is no pain, swelling, testicle enlargement, cancer seems very unlikely. What does it actually mean ? If there is pain on it then it can be cancer ? My testicular cancer chances is just like normal people (who doesn't have epididymal cyst) or I am having more chances of cancer ?

Hi

Hair presence or lack of them does not indicate anything. Some areas of the scrotum can have more, some can have less hair. And the density of hair can decrease with the stretching of skin. So no reason to worry at this point.

Your pain is present when you press the testicle? Or it is there all the time?
If your pain is present all the time, has not changed through years, the cyst is the reason. If the pain has appeared recently, there might be other reason (like an inflammation of this area), but still it does not have to be a cancer.

Epididymal cyst can not become a cancer. This is for sure.

But there is chance of cancer. And this chance is completely unrelated to the cysts. You have a risk of testicle cancer just like every average men (without any cysts). And like every men, you should be aware of testis pain, swelling or enlargement. Your situation is not worrisome. You have had an ultrasound. We can be sure from it that there is no cancer. Most of the people do not have ultrasounds done, and still they can live normal. It is because cancer is generally a rare condition (it happens). The risk of it can be compared to the risk of being involved in a car accident.

So please, don't be afraid of it, and try to live your life.

Hope this will help.
Regards.

Follow-up: Have lump attached to testicle. Can this develop into cancer? What should I do? 38 minutes later
sometimes the pain is felt for a while when I sit with stretch .A mild pain is felt but it is very very less frequent in normal circumstance. Is it anything serious like cancer ?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 24 minutes later
No, there is no reason to concern. This pain is present with you occasionally and nothing has changed in that matter. Mild pain can be present from time to time. And there is nothing unusual in that.

You should rather be aware of constant pain, which does not go away by itself, gets stronger.

So once again, you have had an ultrasound which definitely ruled out the cancer. Mild pain from time to time is not a reason to concern.

Hope this will help.
Regards.